Monday, June 25, 2012

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint project #2, Dilapidated to Darling

Sorry I have been MIA.  While Holley has been spending weekends on the water, I have been up to my eyeballs in remodeling and moving.  We are on the homestretch now (movers coming tomorrow, Tropical Storm Debbie allowing), so I finally have time to start sharing what I have been doing.  Let's start with ASCP project #2...Dilapidated Desk

 I needed a sturdy desk or table to put my sewing machines on in the new craft room.  Yes, you guessed it, another trip to the Hoarder's garage sale.  Jackpot (though this seemed to be a matter of opinion).  Sturdy, but sad, desk procured for just $25. I also picked up 2 solid wood chairs for just $5 a piece, you will see those soon.

So here is the sad, but sturdy, desk.  Husband and Daughter sent to pick it up expressed some serious misgivings about bringing this one home, but I was SURE I could work miracles with my ASCP (That is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for anyone not familiar).

Notice the lovely laminate finish, burn mark, water ring (?) and general ickiness.


I wanted a darker neutral for this piece, so I chose Graphite, kind of a navy-gray.  I like the way it turned out.  Here it is after just ONE coat...remember no sanding, no primer and no need to paint twice on this piece!



Since I was on a budget, I thought I would try to rescue the original handles.  To the rescue: Krylon's hammered silver spray paint.  Worked like a charm...just like new!

Next, wax.  I used a mix of clear and dark.  At this point, I still did not have a wax brush and was a bit hazy on the whole wax application process.  Since then, I have made another trip out to Sweet South Cottage, our local stockist.  Lisa gave me a GREAT wax tutorial.  I can't wait to get out there and take some classes.   Be sure and visit if you are local.  It's worth the drive and Lisa and her staff are VERY knowledgeable and helpful!  In any case, I am still pleased with my wax finish.  I did not distress as I felt this piece would distress on it's own with use, and I like that.

Voila!  Desk transformed from Dilapidated to Darling!  Excuse the grainy pictures, camera is packed...I am sure I will find it soon, I hope.  
Have you done any projects with ASCP?  Comment with a link, I would love to see it!

Linking to:

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 A LETTERED LIFE