Monday, September 5, 2011

I ♥ burlap...Welcome Fall!

There is the tiniest hint of fall in the air in the mornings.  Dare I hope that cooler weather is coming?  Here in Florida, we don't get much before October, but a girl can dream....


Despite the lack of coolness, Fall is in my head and about to be in my house.  To kick things off, here's a quick and easy tutorial for a fun fall wreath.  As I was making it, I thought it would also adapt easily to a beach wreath, using shells instead of buttons!


Here is what you need:


  • grapevine or straw wreath
  • roll of Burlap (I got mine at Joann's)
  • Letter (Hobby Lobby has lots of shapes and sizes)
  • HOT MELT glue gun, especially if you are going to put your wreath outdoors, and glue sticks
  • buttons
  • scissors
*A note on buttons:  I have collected mine over the years, but if you haven't you can buy them in large packs by color at craft stores or check ebay or etsy where you can find people have collected them for you!  


Start by wrapping your wreath in burlap.  I kind of wrapped and twisted, keeping it kind of loose to add texture.  Cut and secure with a drop or two of glue at the end.


Cut a piece of burlap (I think mine was about 2 1/2 feet long) and glue to the back of your letter.  This is so you have a way to attach it to the wreath.  Place it above the halfway point of your letter so it doesn't droop forward.


Now for the fun part...gather your buttons.  I dumped mine so I could see them and pick the size and shape I needed easily.  A note on buttons:  they have personalities just like people.  They come in all shapes and sizes.  Some are broken, some dirty, some still have the thread attached, but they are all beautiful.  Be nice to the buttons.  If you only use the perfect ones, your project will have less personality.


Start gluing the buttons.  Work in small sections, about one square inch, the glue dries fast. 




Once you glue the initial layer, go back and see where you might want to fill and layer.  This is a great time to use buttons with shanks (the ones that are not flat).  The layering adds some texture and helps fill the holes.


Cover the whole letter...this is really quick though it looks daunting.  Your friends will marvel at your creativity!  Now, tie your letter to your wreath, tucking the loose ends of burlap into your original wrapped burlap. 


Voila!  Welcome fall!  Wouldn't this be a great housewarming gift?  If you try this, please link back, we would love to see!

Linking to:





9 COMMENTS:

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Love this!!! Darn not having a hobby lobby! Can you send me 2 s's?

Decor To Adore said...

What an adorable wreath ~ I love it!

I am begining a new linky party on Wednesday ~ "Fall" In Love. Please join in on the fun.

Have a happy and blessed Labor Day!

Alison said...

Very creative! You're giving me ideas!

Amanda said...

Very cute! I love that it's not super-autumny but still warm and inviting. Thanks for linking up. Come grab a featured button because you'll be on the blog tomorrow!

Rachel (Lines across my face) said...

Very cute. I LOVE the buttons. I am also definitely in the mood for fall. Thanks for sharing. I hope to see you again this week.
Rachel

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Your project is so fantastic that I featured it this week at my Hookin Up with HoH Link Party!

Feel free to stop on by and grab a button!

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

Carrie said...

Such a great idea! It's officially on my 'to-do' list!

You newest follower,
Carrie

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

I love your wreath it is awesome and the buttons are great! Very inspiring! I hope you'll link thi sup to scrappy saturdays this weekend at candacecreations.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Okay, I have given it a try - It's not as cute as your's, but it will do! Here's the link to my post: http://stringtownhome.blogspot.com/2012/05/inspired-wreath.html... Have a great weekend!

hugs!
-heather

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 A LETTERED LIFE