Friday, May 18, 2012

I am in love...with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint


If you haven't heard of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, it is an amazing product that you can use to paint over ANYTHING with no prep (sanding, primer) at all!!!  Seriously, it warms my lazy, impatient little heart.


I realize I am probably the last blogger on the planet to try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (hereafter referred to as ASCP).  In my defense, I thought it was one of those fancy schmancy things I would have to order and have shipped...paying shipping on PAINT was not high on my list of things to do.  

So one night, with a list of projects in hand, I checked to see where the nearest "stockist" was...maybe I would drive to Jacksonville or Atlanta...well knock me over with a feather.  There is a stockist HERE, in little old Tallahassee.  Who knew?  Sweet South Cottage is a stockist as well as a great place to take a class in ASCP and just kill a couple of hours soaking in all the vintage goodness!


I took a little field trip out to Sweet South Cottage and bought a couple of sample pots: Old White and French Linen as well as the dark wax.  I am in love.  I have had no instruction in how to use this stuff properly, I see a class in my future. 

ASCP project #1: Candlesticks


Acquired from  the hoarder who lives near my house.  Seriously, not joking, you can see the stuff piled up past the tops of the windows in the back of his house! But he does have great garage sales.
Cost $12 for the set (didn't even try to bargain.  These guys are big, thought they were worth it, they are about 14" high and as big around as a skinnier person's thigh) 

Candlesticks are ceramic.  I wiped them off and started painting with ASCP old white.  No sanding, roughing, no primer.
First coat:
Too streaky, so I let it dry and slapped on another (right candle holder in pic below).  The finish at this point is opaque and chalky...hence the name I guess, duh.


Once the second coat was dry, I used dark wax and buffed to finish.  There is a learning curve with the wax, so offering no instruction.  Stay tuned, I am going to learn to do it right and then share.  My second candlestick looks much better, the wax is dry brushed on. 

Voila, finished product.  (wreath tutorial HERE). LOVE them, just love.


These are for my new "neutral" dining room.  I am hoping for something like this FABULOUS dining room by Kimberly over at Serendipity.  Love all her fun vintagey touches.


Have a great weekend, and if you like us, join up.  
We would love to join you too! ♥


This week I am partying with:

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 A LETTERED LIFE